Using uncomfortably tight underwear to redistribute your body fat is a classic fashion technique favoured by everyone from corseted Elizabethan ladies to Bridget Jones in her very large pants. I don’t always use it as I’m pretty sure that can cause internal bleeding. But for some dresses I know I’ll feel more confident, although less able to breathe, if I call in reinforcements. Here is the lowdown on two of my favourite shapewear products.
Flexees by Maidenform Control Singlet available from Simply Be
* Streamlines and smooths out your silhouette beautifully.
* Irons out your back and eliminates bra bulge.
* No VPL issues as these panties stop mid-thigh.
* Stays in place.
* The most comfortable shapewear I’ve tried.
* Doubles as a wrestling outfit.
* Can kill a moment of passion. “Sorry to interrupt this lovely kiss, I just need ten minutes to wiggle out of my unitard.” This is not sexy talk.
* Doesn’t fit under dresses with a low back. While a brightly coloured bra strap peeking out under your top may look cute, a shiny panel of body-sucking spandex will not.
* You have to take your top off every time you go to the loo.
Rago 6201 Firm High Waist Leg Shaper available from The Lingerie Box
* Looks authentically vintage with its lace details.
* Comes with suspenders you can attach to your stockings.
* Very strong panelling for flattening your stomach and sculpting your waist.
* Makes my thighs feel like they are being strangled. Admittedly my thighs are pretty hefty, so if yours are more slender you may not have this issue.
* Stops below the bra so does nothing to smooth out back bulges.
* The zip on one side can make your silhouette slightly asymmetrical in a super-fitted dress.
* Would not be practical wrestling attire.