1920s Style For Curvy Girls

25 Nov

Roxy Vintage Style Prohibition Party Outfit

Dress by Stop Staring via eBay, faux fur stole from Collectif, headdress from eBay, earrings from River Island, shoes from Aldo

Dressing 1920s is a challenge when you’re all tits and ass. At the weekend I faced this challenge head on when I went to the Prohibition party.

The magpie in me can’t get enough of unadulterated Gatsbyfied glamour. But when I remember that this style highlights my hangups, I always feel too fat to flap. Drop waists make me look gargantuan, short skirts make my knees nervous and I’m terrified of fringing – my body shakes way too much when I walk already.

Tragically, I will never be a flat-chested, willowy coat-hanger; a thought which makes me crave a stretchy wiggle dress and a nice, comforting slice of cake.

Resisting the gateau despite its incessant winking at me, I turned to one of my favourite films instead. Marilyn Monroe in Some Like It Hot demonstrates how to make the 1920s look work on a quintessentially 1950s figure.

Marilyn Monroe Some Like It Hot Curvy Flapper

“She’s like jell-o on springs!”

Some-Like-it-Hot-some-like-it-hot-14853730-1957-2560

All her frocks are knee-length and glitzy. They show off her shape but in a more voluptuous, undulating way than her pointier pin-up styles. Inspired by Her Blondeness, I chose a sparkly dress that skims without sculpting. Although it’s not strictly speaking drop-waisted, the ruching at the hips gives a similar effect without wreaking havoc on my silhouette.

With the right accessories you can get away with a frock that’s not quite period perfect. Draped in imitation jewels and furs, I was ready to party like it was 1929 (before that whole stock market thing).

It turns out when I’m a flapper I love to pout…

Roxy Vintage Style Prohibition

I’m pretty demanding…

Roxy Vintage Style Prohibition Liquor

and I make sex faces while dancing….

Roxy Vintage Style Dance Face Flapper

So I’m exactly the same as always then.

About these ads

8 Responses to “1920s Style For Curvy Girls”

1. vintagefrills November 25, 2013 at 11:48 am #

I love your 20s insured outfit, perfect on curves. I always wonder how fuller figured women coped with 20s styling as you rarely see images of bigger girls in the era.
    The costumes from Some Like It Hot are my favourite movie costumes ever, Marilyn looks AMAZING!

• Roxy Vintage Style November 26, 2013 at 4:53 pm #

Thanks sweetheart, glad you love the outfit! I was really nervous beforehand about how I’d manage to pull of the twenties look – most of it seems designed for leggy minxes. And I know, Marilyn looks sensational in that film, as always! x

2. Laura Lynn November 26, 2013 at 5:09 am #

Big fun, great dress!

• Roxy Vintage Style November 26, 2013 at 4:51 pm #

Thanks honey! It was SUCH a fun night, Charleston-ing away in my sparkly frock! x

3. Frivolous Monsters November 27, 2013 at 6:53 pm #

You certainly look like you know how to have a good time, with a dress for every occasion. Great period look, straight off the set of Poirot!
    FM

• Roxy Vintage Style December 9, 2013 at 8:28 am #

Ah thanks so much, FM! I’d love to be on the set of Poirot! xx

4. Flamingo August 22, 2014 at 1:41 pm #

I love how you pulled off this look, you look stunning!

• Roxy Vintage Style August 29, 2014 at 9:28 am #

Aw thank you! This was such a fun outfit to wear. I love being a flapper! x